I am slowly getting back to my sewing and quilting roots and enjoying it along the way. I learned the basics of sewing and quilting at a very early age, but took a 10 year hiatus while I was finishing school.
The first quilt I wanted to make was for my best friends beautiful new baby boy. I decided when she first told me she was expecting, but only finally got around to it. Luckily, the youngster was only about 3 months old when I finished it, that isn’t too bad, right?
I knew I wanted to do something modern and I was instantly draw to a design from KnottyGnome Crafts that was featured as a Moda Bake Shop recipe. I loved the bright colors and geometric designs. I had fun picking out the fabrics and settled on bright baby boy colors of blue, turquoise, green, orange, and yellow. To add some neutrals, I decided on shades of black and gray for every other stripe with bright white triangles in between.
Front of my completed with repeating rows of colorful and neutral black and gray hexagons
I followed the Knotty Gnomes instructions except for a few modifications. I made the quilt larger, with 1 extra hexagon wide and 1 additional row of hexagons. I planned out the colors and made sure the rows of bright color had some variety of positioning to make it less repetitive.
For each of the 6 colors – black, gray, blue, turquoise, green, orange, and yellow, I chose 4 fabrics. The hexagons were made from 6 triangles, with 2 fabrics repeating. I cut out all of the triangles and pieced the quilt in rows. I made each row, then assembled each pair of rows to make the hexagons. The difficulty here is to make sure the points match pretty well across the whole quilt and there are lots of 6 point connections. From my scraps I pieced together the back in a modern colorful design.
I quilted this with my even feed foot in straight lines following the hexagon pattern. I sewed in the middle of each row of triangles, creating an overall design of triangular intersecting lines creating additional triangles. I bound the edges simply in gray binding. Overall it turned out fairly well, although I think it may have been a bit too big in the end for a baby quilt. Not too bad for my return back to the world of quilting.
Back of my completed quilt with scrappy, random lines and color blocking